Feb 17, 2011

Hello classmates. We are very proud and happy to announce the birth of our son. Nathan was born on Thursday, February 17 at 12:36am, weighing 7 lbs 14 ozs. This week has been crazy busy and we have just now found the time to sit at the computer and send you all this message.

Mindy's water started to leak last Tuesday night at about 10pm with no signs of labour. We got up the next morning and went to the mall to walk to try to kick start the process. It didn't work. We arrived at the hospital on Wednesday afternoon at 1pm and were told that Mindy was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced, but there was meconium in her water which meant that we were being admitted and started on a pitocin drip. When we got to Labour and Delivery and were given a moment alone, Mindy had a breakdown and became very upset. We talked through this and accepted that we couldn't control the fact that her water broke and that it was stained with meconium.

She was put on the drip but didn't feel any contractions at all for about three hours. Nathan's heart rate began to decelerate quite badly so they turned off the drip and watched his heart rate for a while. At about 5:30pm, the doctors broke the rest of the water. It was virtually intact and explained why she couldn't feel any contractions. They turned the drip back on and within an hour the pain was almost unbearable. Mindy said she wouldn't be able to last much longer without something for the pain when our little guy deceled badly again. This worried the medical team a lot, so the drip was turned off again. Mindy was examined and told that she was now 4 cm.

This is when things started to go our way. Nathan's heart rate took a while to stabilize and in that time, Mindy's body took over. She really began to focus on the contractions and hit the "Zone". We got the lights turned down and off we went. She was offered drugs once and turned them down. We were told at about 9 pm that the drip wouldn't be turned back on because she was doing it all on her own and that she was now 7 cm. This was an unexpected victory for us and we pushed on with renewed energy. By 12 am Mindy had flown through transition without showing any signs and felt the need to push. Another examination showed that she was fully dilated and ready to go.

Long story short, our son was born after about 4 or 5 groups of pushes. Mindy said that pushing really did feel good. Nathan's heart rate decelerated quite badly during the pushing and the vacuum was used to get him around the corner. When he came out, his cord was wrapped tight around his neck. This explained all the distress he suffered during labour and delivery. Thankfully he is no worse off and will be fine.

All the staff were open minded and some of the nurses were very moved to watch Mindy give birth naturally and without an epidural. We faced all of our adversity early and ended up feeling very good about the entire birth. Although it wasn't ideal, we dealt with what was thrown our way and i think that's all that can be asked of anyone. As long as Mom and Baby are healthy and happy, that is all that matters. Having all of the information that was given to us during our course with you all was priceless. (THANK YOU RHONDA)

We hope all is well with all of you and your new babies.


Brian, Mindy, and Nathan.

Rockyview hospital birth