May 24, 2012

Hi Sue,

Sorry this is sooooo late!  I'm finally just starting to feel better and somewhat normal again!  

I woke up at 3:00 a.m. Thursday the 24th of May.  I was a little backed up (constipated) LOL so I was a bit uncomfortable.  I boiled some hot water and drank it trying to get things moving which is odd because normally I'd never get up in the middle of the night to do that.  It worked and I went to the bathroom a little about a half hour later which brought a bit of relief but not much.  I had cramping and I thought that was normal considering my circumstances.  Then I had another cramp and another then realized I was having contractions.  I started timing them at 5:37 a.m. and they ranged from 46 seconds in duration 8 minutes apart  and quickly progressed to 1:22 in length within 45 minutes to 6 minutes apart.   I was in a lot of pain and woke Mike up at 6:30.  He asked if I was able to go back to sleep but I couldn't.  I couldn't find any comfortable positions and no relief whatsoever..   At 8:00 I had a piece of toast but threw it back up half our later.  By 9:00 my contractions were coming anywhere from 3 minutes apart to the odd one being 7 minutes apart.  9:30 we left for the hospital and when they did my first check up I was only 2 cm dilated.  I was discouraged and worried they were going to send me home but they didn't. They encouraged me to walk but there was no way I could.  It was hard getting through each contraction and again, no matter what position I was in, laying on the bed, leaning on the bed, in the shower I had extreme pain and pressure in my bottom.  I was throwing up during contractions (on the bed, in the shower) which was hard because I didn't have anything to bring up but stomach acid. YUCK!  

They checked me again around 12:00 and I was 6 cm dilated, then at 2:30 she checked me again and I was at 9 cm but my cervix had a a little ways to go on the right side (they called it a lip on the right side) The Doctor said I could start pushing in 15 minutes which was 2:45.  I never did get the "urge" to push.  I laid on the bed at first, was too uncomfortable , so I tried squatting on the edge of the bed.  I managed that for a bit but after a while my feet and legs were going numb.  Then I flipped over and leaned over the back of the bed......again too uncomfortable.  They suggested I sit on the toilette so I did that and that was slightly better.  They said I had a 2 inch gap.   I had such pain in my butt and tail bone.  Also during pushing I had major pain across my abdomen...right around my belly button and around.  They couldn't figure it out.   After 2 1/2 hours of pushing I asked them for a c-section or suction, I was desperate.  Nothing was happening.  The Doctor came back shortly after 5:00 and said she was done in the clinic and they got me onto the bed.  They gave me a cathader thinking that would help with the pain around my belly / mid section but it didn't.  They did manage to eliminate a bit of urine. They held my legs back during the next few contractions as I was still gaping 2 inches as per the doctor.  Within 6 contractions of hard pushing she was out.  I had a really hard time controlling and starting each push.  There was a point the Doctor also told me to stop pushing but I had no control.  It was the strangest sensation/feeling ever.  Needless to say I tore slightly. Our daughter was born naturally on May 24th, 2012 at 5:50 p.m. out in High River!  She weighed 6 pounds 4 oz. and was 19 3/4 inches long.  It was just like you described it.  It was such a high and I once again had energy!  I was on a major adrenaline rush and I was sooooo relieved the pain was over!  Within 10 minutes, they told me to push and out came my placenta!  That was a breeze!  : )

Again, I meant to get this to you much sooner!  I'm hoping to come to one of the open houses in the near near future too!  Can't wait to talk to you and Rhonda and all the other Moms!  Breastfeeding is going fantastic!  It definitely had it's major challenges in the first few weeks and I wanted to give up but I didn't.  I'm so glad we took your Classes on birth and breastfeeding!!  Mike was so informative!  He definitely retained more of the info than I did and he's been so helpful because of it! A BIG THANK-YOU to you and Rhonda! 

Here's a picture of Kaitlen Sharoan  : )

Kim and Mike